Shop Talk: School of Rock rolling into Midtown

Original post made on Nov 16, 2012

Palo Alto resident Hansel Lynn is bringing a new music school to the Midtown neighborhood of Palo Alto.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Sunday, November 18, 2012, 10:04 AM

Posted by Local Family, a resident of Midtown
on Nov 16, 2012 at 10:48 pm

So sorry to see that Papa Murphy's has gone. We have lots of happy memories of watching them make our pizza before taking it home to cook.

Posted by Ducatigirl, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Nov 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Ducatigirl is a registered user.

It just won't be the same: the old employes won't be there, the old ambience won't be there.

New digs and new menu should be interesting, though

Posted by Pleased, a resident of another community
on Nov 18, 2012 at 9:52 am

They have retained some of the old staff. Ate there last week and had a very good omelet.

Posted by Also Pleased, a resident of Midtown
on Nov 19, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I also ate at the new Dinah's Poolside, I like the atmosphere better and the food was better, similiar, but better. I wouldn't call it upscale necessarily, but would say it's nice. I did see a couple people I recognized from the old restaurant plus I think I saw a guy who used to work at Trader Vic's. If that's the case, I give credit to the owner, after all, the building was in her family's name the whole time.

Posted by Pat, a resident of Barron Park
on Nov 19, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Ok, but did they raise their prices? That's what "upscale" generally means.

Posted by Rachel Kardos, a resident of another community
on Nov 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm

The School of Rock San Mateo location is OPEN! The School of Rock San Mateo is currently enrolling for Winter Guitar Camp!

Posted by moi, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Nov 19, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Haagen-Dazs closing is a blessing. Some months ago, I went in to buy a pint of ice cream (to go!).

The man working behind the freezers looked very unkempt, and was surly as well. The ice cream was soft, not frozen.

After I paid, he asked me, almost as an afterthought, if I wanted a bag. (!)

I said please.

He ducked into the back and brought out a USED generic plastic bag. Board of Health, where were you?

That night I emailed the Stanford Shopping Center management office. Response was one of dismay, and that they'd forward my email to the franchisee.

Never heard a peep! No reply! None!

Bye-bye Haagen-Dazs.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.