Meteor zips over Bay Area, lands with sonic boom

Original post made on Oct 18, 2012

A large meteor streaked across the night sky Wednesday night and was seen and heard throughout the Bay Area.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, October 18, 2012, 8:03 AM

Posted by Scott
a resident of Menlo Park
on Oct 18, 2012 at 11:15 am

We caught a glimpse of this while walking the dog last night, and then we heard the boom in the distance, weren't sure what the latter was at the time. Pretty cool, though!

Posted by breht
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Oct 18, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I was just getting into my car on Middlefield Rd across from Fandango Pizza, south of Midtown, Palo Alto when I a heard strange sound, looked up and saw a burning object descending to the east. My field of view was toward the northeast. The view lasted for less than 2 seconds before the flame extinguished. The time and date was between 19:30 and 20:00 on Wednesday, 17 OCT 2012, around the same time as the above report.

Posted by Solon
on Oct 18, 2012 at 1:23 pm

At 7 48 I received a call. A friend I know well was seated on teh front steps in Professorville, facing west,
Down on his luck, a professional some of you know, his wife is ill and far away, he has no regular job, and is out of money.
A christian man, with alifetime of work, he asked God for a sign, some sign how to go on. Earlier in the day, we had talked about yet another person.

I opined, sometimes, I just talk and listen to the person, put a hand on their shoulder, like this, and ask. "Where do you see God in all of this? Where would you like to see God in all of this?"

My friend asked for a sign. Then -- some SOME reason perhaps outside our OWN reason - - the grat "flaming ball" came over head,"throwing sparks"

He was stunned. ANd called me. Happy.

One thing you might do, I said, is continue the dialogue.

SO, that is how I experienced this event, and how my friend did.

I am now going for a hike in the Martinez Hills with my infra red heat detector and magnetic compass!!!

Posted by Chicken Little
on Oct 18, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Aren't we yet to a level of technology that can tell us to seek shelter because a meteor is headed our way?

Posted by Anon.
on Oct 18, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I was lucky enough to see this from that San Jose area. This was one of the clearest fullest views I have ever had of a meteor.

It seemed to be up there for about 5 seconds and covered about 70 degrees of arc ... it was amazing, streaking across the sky bright as a sparkler, with bits falling off it it along the way. It was truly spectacular!

Posted by Jan H.
on Oct 18, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Chicken Little: probably not unless it is humongous!

I'm just sorry I missed seeing an actual meteor go out in a blaze of glory!

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Oct 18, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Sorry I missed it. I guess we are sure by now this wasn't a re-entering satellite or spent booster. They can be quite colorful, but probably don't come with such a sonic boom. Anybody have an explanation for the strange sound heard by breht of Greenmeadow causing him to look upward? (include probable distance and speed of sound in your calculation)

Posted by Skywatcher
on Oct 19, 2012 at 8:16 am

I saw a small meteor flying quite low over Palo Alto back on September 25th, at around 8:30 pm. It looked like it might have landed near 101 and the Baylands.

Posted by watts
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Oct 19, 2012 at 6:08 pm

what were those two 5 airliner sized oblong thingies flying side by side at 900 mph then changed into 2 snakelike lines flying over midtown in silence on oct. 1. then a 2 foot wide triangle shaped crystal white thing hovered over your head at only 200 feet after that. welcome to the new dimension.

Posted by Brooke Ray
a resident of Los Altos
on Oct 22, 2012 at 9:51 am

The first meteorite chunk that was positively identified struck my boyfriend's family's neighbor's house on Wednesday! Web Link

Posted by melissa
on Oct 22, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I was on the roof top of the marriott and saw it and then heard the boom! It looked as if it was only a few hundred feet above me. I thought it was a large firework until It made the huge boom. It was sooo cool.