Couple held at gunpoint during home invasion

Original post made on Oct 2, 2012

A couple was held at gunpoint inside their home in Mountain View early Monday while five assailants ransacked their residence -- stealing cash and a handgun before leaving, according to police.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 2:19 PM

Posted by CCW, a resident of another community
on Oct 2, 2012 at 4:48 pm

California needs CCW (concealed carry weapon) permits. Had that gentleman or his wife had a carry weapon ready to go and loaded, either on them or easily accessible they may have had a fighting chance. All it takes is one individual to shoot 5 assailants, to deter future assailants.

Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Oct 2, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Reading this, the above post and then the other story about the shooting on highway 101 makes me shudder.

I can see more wild west shootouts unless we can get the guns off the streets.

All weapons are dangerous, and even a police gun can get into the hands of a toddler who can kill himself, just like the one in Morgan Hill recently.

Posted by Stuart, a resident of Mountain View
on Oct 2, 2012 at 5:05 pm

[Portion removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

We need better reporting! I don't see any reason for the general population to get scared about this deal, until I hear more details.

Posted by Jan H., a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Oct 3, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Jan H. is a registered user.

That has got to be one of the most terrifying things to happen to someone in their own home! I don't think I could have handled it well at all. How on earth can someone prepare for or defend themselves from something like that.

Everyone, please give suggestions?

Posted by ChrisC, a resident of College Terrace
on Oct 5, 2012 at 2:13 pm

ChrisC is a registered user.

I am saddened to be in agreement with Resident: we are heading back into the Wild West/Frontier days. Which state is it that voted to allow people to carry guns into bars? Somewhere in the South. And people can bring weapons into Federal parks now. I can definitely see everybody "packing" and practicing their quick draw. It might take a while, but it's coming. As in days of yore, the wealthy will be able to afford private security forces, gated communities, elaborate in-home security systems, while the rest of us are left to self-defense.

Is anybody in Palo Alto connecting the dots between years of shopping on the Internet tax-free and the demise of independent retailers in Palo Alto and the reduction in the sales tax base resulting in cuts to fire and police services? I think not.

Posted by Jan H., a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Oct 5, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Jan H. is a registered user.

ChrisC, you have a very viable argument, although I think people will be in denial about it. It's such an awful thought that folks will not want to believe it is true.

Unfortunately, when people feel threatened, and feel that the police are ineffectual, they tend to take things into their own hands, I.e., frontier justice.

The Wild West is fun to watch in the movies, not so much in real life!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to login

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Scottís Seafood Mountain View to close, reopen as new concept

Who Says Kids Donít Eat Vegetables?

Breastfeeding Tips