Beechwood School in Menlo Park reopens after fire

Original post made on Sep 17, 2012

Beechwood School, a private K-8 nonprofit school located at 50 Terminal Ave. in Menlo Park, reopened Monday morning after a fire Thursday destroyed the administrative offices and a classroom in a three-unit portable building.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, September 17, 2012, 2:19 PM

Posted by MENLO, a resident of Menlo Park
on Sep 17, 2012 at 3:58 pm

GO BEECHWOOD FAMILY!

Posted by village fool, a resident of another community
on Sep 17, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Copying from above:
"This is the second modular school building fire in the last year we have had here in Menlo Park," Schapelhouman said. The building dates from 1986 and was meant to be temporary and thus was exempt from certain fire code regulations, he said.
Just wondering - Modular school buildings are commonly used. Anyone aware of other exemptions (compromises?) in addition to fire code regulations? health, maybe? any other?

Posted by CMW, a resident of Stanford
on Sep 18, 2012 at 10:31 am

Partners in Education (PiE) of Palo Alto raised $4.4 million in 2011-12, surpassing its goal. This year, we will give our donation to Beechwood School instead. I encourage other families in the PAUSD to consider doing so as well. Yes, I've heard all of the arguments for why giving to PiE is important but in the grand scheme of things, really, who needs the money more?

Posted by palo alto mom, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Sep 18, 2012 at 5:05 pm

CMW - we're giving to both PiE and Beechwood.

Posted by CMW, a resident of Stanford
on Sep 19, 2012 at 1:04 pm

@ palo alto mom - happy to know you have the means to do so. not all of us in the district do.

Posted by palo alto mom, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Sep 19, 2012 at 3:49 pm

CMV - much of Palo Alto has the means to donate to both - even if it is a small amount. And its good to know that your students -if you have any - will benefit from PiE $$ whether you donate or not.

Beechwood is also a wonderful school (I think it was actually founded by some Palo Alto families) and deserves any support you can give.

Posted by BeThatOne, a resident of another community
on Sep 19, 2012 at 6:47 pm

My son went to Beechwood in 1986. Not only did he benefit from attending the private school, but I also benefit as well and some of the other parents did too. At that time, Beechwood held a meeting; the first meeting was for parents and children. Right after that a meeting was held for the parents while the children played. At that meeting I was able to talk about something that I had stuffed since I was 5 years old. I learned that there were parents at this particular meeting ... I'll sum it up by saying, "I wasn't the only one that went through what I went through when I was a small child. I got support that evening. I felt so much better and was able to move on. After all these years, thank you so much for Beechwood!!!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.