Art commission welcomes two new members

Original post made on May 29, 2012

Expanding the types and mediums of public art are common goals for Patricia Walsh and Vikki Tobak, the newest members of the Palo Alto Public Art Commission.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, May 29, 2012, 1:57 PM

Posted by David
on May 29, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I'm sure the new art commssioners will do fine as long as we don't continue the trend of inappropriate art in inappropriate places. Byxbee Art Park pieces are a great example of inappropriate places.

Posted by no more art
a resident of College Terrace
on May 29, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Here we go again, someone saying we need to compete with SF and NYC. We do not have the money to pay for the frivolous desires of self appointed art experts. Time to disband this commission.

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on May 29, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I'd hate to see what would happen if we did have money for more "in-your-face" art. Spotlights and LEDs? I try to keep an open mind but much of this article made me gag. Urban Girl? What "contemporary issues" should public art reflect? High gas prices? The Federal deficit? Gang wars and drug abuse? Maybe I'm shortsighted and perhaps some creative soul really could produce artwork relevant "to the city as a whole" or the neighborhood "it's located in specifically." I still see traffic, crime, ABAG mandates, teen angst, and darker demons. Clearly I need more optimism, or at least an art appreciation course to interpret artworks as reflecting hopes for a brighter future, peace, prosperity and security. I really am ignorant whether art should be a comfort or a goad, pleasant or provocative. Somebody please help me out here. What do we really want? Could we ever get a consensus without going completely bland? Unless the Art Commission is just a mutual admiration society, I suspect they realize they have an uphill battle, but so many people thrive on controversy no matter how counterproductive, especially if it's with other people's money. Ultimately though,

I think that I shall never see

A poem lovely as a tree.

Posted by how about a little love for the commissioners
a resident of Downtown North
on May 30, 2012 at 7:38 pm

While I don't pretend to know much about the art world, I do appreciate the effort and enthusiasm of the new commissioners/public art commission. Why shouldn't Palo Alto have a thriving public art community? It doesn't have to be NYC or SF (or Chicago!), but how about we start somewhere? I, for one, can't think of any public art in Palo Alto. We DO live right next to a distinguished University and have access to many talented up and coming artists within our local schools, no? It doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. I believe these positions are volunteer ones, so how about we give a little positive encouragement for these newly appointed commissioners and maybe offer some constructive feedback.

Posted by how about a little love for the commissioners
a resident of Downtown North
on May 30, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Posted by moi
on May 30, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Public art costs money.
Money is short.

Hundreds of visits to museums have enriched my life since childhood.
I studied art in college. Art history. Studio art.
I love the visual arts.

But now is not the time to be acquiring.

Posted by Bob
a resident of Community Center
on May 31, 2012 at 8:52 am

What is this going to cost us??? The City proposes to shutter the Baylands Interpretive Center and slash nature programs for the children and everyone else. The Baylands need
weeding'. The boardwalk is getting flimsy. The Baylands itself 'is' natural art and it is being neglected. The Art Commission and its profligate spending has to go.