Recent Paly graduate dies in St. Louis

Original post made on May 10, 2012

A memorial service will be held May 19 for Emily Benatar, a 2011 Palo Alto High School graduate who died Wednesday in St. Louis after contracting meningococcal disease.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, May 10, 2012, 5:26 PM

Posted by Sad
a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on May 10, 2012 at 6:47 pm

So sorry about the sad news... Condolences.
[Portion removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by parent
a resident of Jordan Middle School
on May 10, 2012 at 6:51 pm

[Portion removed by Palo Alto Online staff.] I understand that she was vaccinated. The vaccine does not cover all variants of the meningococcal strain.

Posted by Paly Class of 2011
a resident of Duveneck School
on May 10, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I have had the pleasure to know Emily for the past eight years. She was such a wonderful person. I never knew her not to have a smile and she was always so full of life. My thoughts go out to all mourning her death. Rest in peace, dear Emily

Posted by former paly student
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on May 10, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Emily was such an amazing vivacious person and such a positive influence on all those around her. I was so saddened to hear of her untimely death. My heart goes out to her family and friends. I am glad to see the overwhelming amount of support that has gone out on facebook. She obviously left quite an impact on all of those who came into contact with her and will be fondly remembered.

Posted by bryan
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on May 10, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I knew Emily since 8th grade, at jordan middle school, she was kind, nice, smart, friendly to other people, and she graduated with me and the class of 2011 last year, i will never forget the memories that I had and the class of 2011 had, RIP emily, you be greatly missed by us, and class of 2011

Posted by Perspective
a resident of Greater Miranda
on May 11, 2012 at 5:15 am

My heart goes out to the parents, family and friends. How awful.

Posted by Wash U Grad
a resident of El Carmelo School
on May 11, 2012 at 8:58 am

Very sad. I feel horrible for Emily's friends and family. I also went to Palo Alto schools (Gunn) and graduated from Wash U. in St. Louis. Shocking this could happen at a place like Wash U., it's a top notch university with world-class healthcare. Guess the quality of care doesn't matter at a certain point if the strain of meningitis is strong enough.

Posted by Wife of M.D.
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on May 11, 2012 at 9:24 am

Yes, there are strains out there that modern medicine cannot defeat. Must have been a real bad one because she was so young.

Posted by KCHOLEYFIELD
a resident of Charleston Gardens
on May 11, 2012 at 10:12 am

A terrible and tragic loss for the world and for her family. Life can be so unfair.

Posted by Friend
on May 11, 2012 at 10:50 am

My heart goes out to Emily's family.

Posted by Paly Grad 2010/ Teammate
on May 11, 2012 at 10:52 am

She will always be with us, giggling and brightening our days. This is so terribly tragic, but I know her beautiful spirit is with us every day. Love you so much EmBen, thanks for making our world a better place. <3

Posted by Mark
a resident of Palo Verde
on May 11, 2012 at 11:03 am

I am so sorry.

Terrible things do happen to wonderful people sometimes.

Posted by Paly Parent x3
on May 11, 2012 at 11:04 am

This is beyond horrible... I never met sweet Emily, yet my heart breaks as if she was my own. My Paly children and their friends knew her and they feel the pain as well. This tragedy can happen to any child, anyone, at anytime. My deepest, deepest sympathy to her parents, family, her friends and our Paly community. We all ache at such a loss... I'm so, so sorry. Rest In Peace Dear...

May God cradle your parents, keep you warm in his arms and in peace in his kingdom.

Posted by Steve C
a resident of Menlo Park
on May 12, 2012 at 12:58 am

Very tragic indeed. It is a nasty disease. Condolences to her family and friends. Very sorry for your loss.