Lessons from a tragedy

Original post made on May 5, 2012

Looking back on his daughter's short life, George Ting sees many turning points where things might have been different. Today, he wants the world to understand that things can be different in the future for other teen addicts, if parents and friends know what to do.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Saturday, May 5, 2012, 8:18 AM

Posted by Mom, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on May 5, 2012 at 8:36 am

This was a powerful article, worth reading by all parents of teenagers.

Posted by Other Mom, a resident of Greenmeadow
on May 5, 2012 at 8:50 am

What an incredibly brave father, and what a sad story. I am humbled that he is telling his story, and so committed to helping others through ACS, which is such a wonderful organization supporting our youth.

Posted by Gavin, a resident of Midtown
on May 5, 2012 at 11:09 am

This is a very sobering account. The take home lesson is that teeneagers, associated with any level of drug abuse, CANNOT be trusted. The adults need to take charge, and not try to be their kids' friends. The parents need to become their jailors, if necessary.

Posted by PA parent, a resident of Gunn High School
on May 5, 2012 at 2:42 pm

This is an important message to all parents and teenagers!!

Posted by PA Parent, a resident of Midtown
on May 5, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I agree. This is an excellent article that all parents and kids should read.

Thank you, Dr. Ting, for the painfully honest account of what happened to your lovely daughter. These are real stories that our kids, who often think that they are invincible, need to hear. No one is immune to drug addiction.

And thank you for turning your heartbreaking experience into something so beneficial to our community.

Posted by Cindy, a resident of another community
on May 6, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Very powerful! Using the loss of one so beautiful to reach out and help others is a wonderful way to honor Esther! I pray that many will benefit from Esther's pledge.

Posted by Resident, a resident of Barron Park
on May 6, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Amazing father! Thanks for sharing your daughter's story.

Posted by r, a resident of Green Acres
on May 6, 2012 at 11:19 pm

how wonderful that he is using this experience to reach out to others and raise awareness

Posted by Goodjob, a resident of Midtown
on May 7, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Very powerful story. An Asian girl abusing cocaine? Talk about smashing stereotypes. All the more it underscores the fact that it can happen to anybody and we need to be vigilant.

Also, most chinese parents would find it a source of shame to be disclosing such private matters to the public. But Dr. Ting knows that by getting the word out, it can save lives. Much thanks.

Posted by Joe Barber, a resident of Menlo Park
on May 7, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Very sad story. We also lost our daughter 3 years ago to an oxycotin overdose. She had been to treatment centers in the bay area also.
Thank you for speaking out about your daughter. More people need to be talking about the epidemic of teen drug abuse.
Thankfully we sent our son to treatment at 16 and he has been sober for 2 years now.
We sent him to www.newportacademy.com

Posted by Jan A, former co-worker, a resident of Mountain View
on May 12, 2012 at 12:11 pm

George, I have thought of you many times since this happened. I cannot imagine the depth of your loss. I admire you for doing this article to help other parents and young people. It's hard to share publicly what is such private pain. I hope you're finding some peace.

Posted by Laura, a resident of Mountain View
on Mar 18, 2013 at 1:37 am

I just recently found out about Esther's tragic passing... I was her driver...picking her up from school and to various lessons..etc. during her 10th- 11th grade year at Kings Acadamy. She was always such a vibrant and sweet young lady. Full of engery and anticipation...looking forward to her college experience. My heart aches at the passing of one so full of future promise. I will treasure the memories of her...little talks on the way to lessons and back home...her taking delight in listening to hip hop very loudly in my car...her engery and bright beautiful smile. Rest in Peace Esther...The angels surround you now. Dr. Ting...I know how very much you loved your Daughter and always wanted the best for her...I believe she's looking down from heaven and smiling at your devotion and perseverance in establishing the wonderful foundation in her name to help others. May God continue to comfort you here on earth until you reunite with your beautiful Daughter in the Heavens. Sincerely, Laura Page

Posted by Most tragic, a resident of Crescent Park
on Mar 18, 2013 at 8:43 am

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

Indian street food and ... bitcoins?

"The Galapagos Affair: Satan Came to Eden"
By Anita Felicelli | 0 comments | 1,008 views

I Spy
By Cheryl Bac | 4 comments | 871 views

Dear Chandrama, Everywhere I turn . . .
By Chandrama Anderson | 2 comments | 789 views