'Mr. Palo Alto' Warren Thoits dies after illness

Original post made on Oct 2, 2009

Warren Thoits, a lifelong Palo Altan, attorney, philanthropist and downtown Palo Alto property owner, died Thursday night after a quiet, year-long battle with cancer.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, October 2, 2009, 8:44 PM

Posted by Rebecca Nelson
on Oct 2, 2009 at 10:07 pm

I am greatly saddened to hear of Warren Thoits's passing. He was the consummate gentleman with a huge and generous heart and a level of selfless commitment to his family, his business, Palo Alto and philanthropic endeavors that was extraordinary. Simply put, he was an exceptional human being whose incomparable legacy lives on. I know I share with countless others the good fortune of crossing paths with Warren. With deepest respect for a life fully lived I send thoughts and prayers to Vicki and all the family.

Posted by resident
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Oct 3, 2009 at 9:14 am

Rest peacefully Mr.Warren Thoits.

Posted by Klaus Brandt
a resident of Leland Manor/Garland Drive
on Oct 3, 2009 at 12:44 pm

As we were growing up in professorville Palo Alto our Mom would take us to the Thoits shoe store on University Avenue. I have to believe that this was the same family as that of Warren Thoits.

Posted by R.I.P Mr. Palo Alto!
a resident of Downtown North
on Oct 5, 2009 at 10:18 am

I just found out about Mr. Thoits a few minutes ago... Thoits brothers owns our building and I see everyone from Thoits walking around almost everyday.. Mr. Thoits and everyone else that works on Emerson are the nicest people. I am deeply saddened by the loss of Mr. Thoits and will think of him every time I walk pass the office on Emerson Street.

Posted by Previous tenant of Mr. Thoits
a resident of Downtown North
on Oct 5, 2009 at 11:54 am

Palo Alto has been lucky to have such a community-minded, thoughtful, and fair civic leader among us. Mr. Thoits helped to create the welcoming downtown that we have, and I hope that new generations recognize the impact that one fine man can have. He will be missed.

Posted by Randy Robinson
a resident of Downtown North
on Oct 5, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Warren Thoits was my landlord for my business. It is rare to hear people say that they like their landlords. I do.

He could not have been a more fair, supportive and nice person – supporting and giving back to the community.

He will be sorely missed by me, and thousands of people whose lives he has touched in an unconditional way.

My heart goes out to his family. Thank you Warren for all you have done for Palo Alto. Your footprint here will last indefinitely.

Posted by carol jansen
a resident of Downtown North
on Oct 5, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Warren was a kind, decent, and thoughtful man. He lived a long life, and I hope that others in Palo Alto follow in his footsteps in recognizing the personal contributions one can make to our community.

Posted by Solon
on Oct 5, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Thoits Law firm leader stated in public comment before City Council in AUgust or so that his firm may move out of Palo Alto if Measure A, the extra tax on business, was passed.

The notion of audits of businesses, the burden of compliance, the obtuseness (Why do the disabled, Honorably Discharged veterans, have to not be able to earn a living doing manual labor to get an exemption from a $75 tax? Measure A, 4.61.090 (A) (2) ) How is this going to be audited and proven? By whom? At what cost to dignity?

Most home business simply will not file, probably, as happened in otehr cities, who then hire investigators or law firms; Under Measure A, 4.61.150 the City Administrator or designee is entitled to "examine the books, papers and records of any person . . " to see if a return or money is due.

And the administrator also fixes penalties 4.61.200 (B) and then also decides an appeal him or her self, 4.61.220 (b)

Books and records? $300,000 a year to administer? Up to $30,000 per business? Hmmmmm.

Posted by Barb Larson
a resident of Downtown North
on Oct 5, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Mr. Thoits was terrific, generous and kind community supporter. The American Red Cross was blessed to have had his leadership and guidance over the years. He will be missed by so many, but undoubtedly his impact and legacy in the community will live on. With deep gratitude and our sympathies to the Thoits family. Our best regards - from the Volunteers, Staff, Board Members and Barb Larson, American Red Cross Silicon Valley

Posted by murray dey
on Oct 12, 2009 at 7:00 pm

A gentleman for whom I will always have the greatest admiration and respect. He was one of the primary reasons for the success of Mid-Peninsula Bank. It was an honor to have known and worked with this great and honorable man.

Posted by Rob Burlison
a resident of Stanford
on Dec 2, 2013 at 12:28 pm

RIP Warren, I am so sorry to hear about your passing, I always thought you were a genuine, kind loving person....Psalm 23