"due to a technical problem on our end" phone calls??

Original post made by sarah on Sep 26, 2009

Is anyone else being spammed by computerized phone calls? When I pick up the phone, some auto-voice says "due to a technical problem on our end, we are unable to speak to you" or something like that. They do not identify their company. I do not have called ID, so I do not know who is calling. Does anyone know who is doing this?

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis, a resident of Midtown
on Sep 26, 2009 at 10:42 am

Walter_E_Wallis is a registered user.

I get a few calls like that, Some with no message at all. I think it is an automatic verification of good numbers.

Posted by Marvin, a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Sep 27, 2009 at 8:19 am

I got a number of calls like that. It is a 408 area code and my caller ID says "SBC Messaging". When I call the number back, I get a voice recording for tickets for sale for some event for the family. They say they are exempt from the "Do not Call" list.

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis, a resident of Midtown
on Sep 27, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Walter_E_Wallis is a registered user.

30 years ago I was offered a share in a new company operating autocall robots. I am so-o-o glad I demurred.

Posted by VoxPop, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Sep 27, 2009 at 1:52 pm

It's a scam that calls from several 408 area numbers, according to this website -- scroll down to the postings. Best thing to do is report it to the FCC. Web Link

Posted by Sarah, a resident of Midtown
on Sep 27, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Thanks for the interesting website link. I will report them to the FCC.

Posted by Joe, a resident of Mountain View
on Mar 17, 2010 at 9:24 pm

I received such an automated message this evening. It said, "Due to a technical problem on our end we are unable to speak with you personally. Please accept our apology. Goodbye." Very annoying. Unfortunately I don't have caller ID.

Posted by JB, a resident of another community
on Apr 15, 2010 at 8:46 pm

I live in Santa Clara and have received four of these calls since April 3, 2010. Very annoying, but I just hang up.

Thanks for all the information from this site. I Googled "Due to a technical problem at our end" and this came up.

Posted by CH, a resident of another community
on Mar 7, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I live in San Mateo and received the third of these calls (over a several month period) tonight. I didn't get the number tonight but did on the second call. I'm not sure this is the same number as before but the message is certainly the same. Extremely annoying and somewhat unnerving!

Posted by Hank, a resident of another community
on May 24, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Just got one in San Jose area. I did same as Marvin noted, called them back and they were selling some sort of charity tickets.

Posted by Phred, a resident of another community
on Mar 5, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Received a long dead air call at 7 pm. Long silence was followed by the message,"Due to technical difficulties at our end, we are unable to connect this call. We apologize for the inconvenience." Or something like that. I plan to report this to the FCC website.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.