Inauguration photo essay by Whitney Dafoe

Original post made on Jan 21, 2009

When I am photographing, I look at the world as closely as I can, trying to see into people and places -- in search of what makes them what they are. In doing this, I am often an observer, which is important and even necessary. But I also enjoy putting my camera down to participate with the people around me.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, January 26, 2009, 9:02 AM

Posted by Debbie Ford-Scriba
on Jan 23, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Great recap, Lisa! So glad you could be there to experience it all.

Posted by Chris
on Jan 24, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Wonderful observations. Reading this, I feel like I was there.

Posted by Sharon
on Jan 25, 2009 at 6:46 am

Here is to the memory and the future Web Link

Good luck

Posted by Lori
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jan 26, 2009 at 10:34 am

Wow, I could FEEL the icy sunlight in these photos. Great moments, all of them. Thanks for the sneak peek at history that many of us could not enjoy in person.

Posted by Jim
a resident of Stanford
on Jan 26, 2009 at 11:08 am

We were in Washington for Inauguration Weekend and Inauguration Day. The last six paragraphs of your essay succinctly and accurately reflect our experience too. The pervasive euphoria was uplifting-- and a hopeful sign for the future. Thanks for your fine essay and photographs.

Jim

Posted by Lois
on Jul 21, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Keep up the good work. I know what you mean because Obama so want us to work together as a nation and republicans don't want to see this. Just like the health plan hopefully it will stay and improve along the way one thing for sure it will keep the drug companies from holding us hostage with their prices. These drug and insurance companies have had us doing socialized prescriptions for years how is it that the states where salaries are higher we are paying a higher price for our prescriptions the very same pills than the states where the salaries are lower. I moved from California to Texas for one year the prescription I was paying $180.00 per month in Texas cost me not even half that much in Texas the very same pills down to the color and shape.
Something is very wrong with our moral core here in America some of us not wanting everyone to be able to have good medical care. First of all the people including the people in congress and their families we need to all be in the very same health and prescription plan. If we keep this health plan then there will be no need for some of these senators to lobby for these drug and insurance companies who are driven by stock prices for their clients.