Diane Feinstein's Conflict of Interest in Iraq

Original post made by a, Adobe-Meadow, on Feb 24, 2008

Dear Weekly, please don't delete this.

This story contains 1663 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on Feb 25, 2008 at 4:38 am

We need to be careful discussing “indefinite delivery-indefinite quantity" contracts. Sometimes falsely and maliciously called "No bid" contracts, they are far more protective of the public purse than a fixed price contract where the scope of work cannot be specified in advance. Ask any contractor about change orders.
I do agree that Dianne "Ban all guns but the one in my purse" Feinstein's ethics seem clouded.

Posted by We Don't Have To Tolerate This
a resident of Stanford
on Feb 25, 2008 at 10:23 am

In January 2007 this expose criticized Feinstein's role in awarding contracts to her husband's defense contracting firms:

Web Link

A couple of months later she resigned from the Military Construction Appropriations subcommittee:

Web Link

It's downright sinister how little attention these events received in the mainstream media.

1 person likes this
Posted by Shakespeare
on Feb 25, 2008 at 11:37 am

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet - except:

elect a liar - you get a liar
elect a cheater - you get a cheater
elect a thief - you get a thief.

What did you expect - honor, integrity, patriotism?

Walter - How does someone on a Senators salary can amass a 1/2 a BILLION DOLLARS in wealth.

Note to self: I got to look into that cattle futures market.

Posted by Milton
a resident of Stanford
on Feb 25, 2008 at 11:54 am

Shakespeare,

I largely agree with your assessment, but I think many of us forget how we also rely on many UNELECTED leaders who represent powerful institutions, including bureaucrats in the State Dept, CIA, FBI, NSA, Pentagon, law enforcement, judiciary, elite schools, defense contractors, privatized intelligence gathering services, think tanks, foundations, NGOs, United Nations, Federal Reserve and Wall Street.

1 person likes this
Posted by Joanna
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Feb 25, 2008 at 2:10 pm

Crook. Yet, she'll get reelected.

Posted by Shakespeare
on Feb 25, 2008 at 2:10 pm

Blum & Feinstein - Corrupt War Profiteer

From my favorite story:

Why, she would hang on him,
As if increase of appetite had grown
By what it fed on.

Do not, as some ungracious pastors do,
Show me the steep and thorny way to heaven;
Whiles, like a puff’d and reckless libertine,
Himself the primrose path of dalliance treads,
And recks not his own rede.

Their enrichment has come at the expense of every taxpayer in America. And of course it has come with all the help and smiles of the intrenched bureaucrats just looking to have a nice retirement.

1 person likes this
Posted by Milton
a resident of Stanford
on Feb 25, 2008 at 2:32 pm

I'm uncertain Feinstein will be re-elected.

The next time she comes up for re-election will be November 2012 when she is 79 years old.

FYI: Feinstein is also a member of the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR).

Posted by An Observer
on Feb 25, 2008 at 4:55 pm

This is one reason we are at war. To transfer $$ from oridnary taxpayers to billionairs. Wake up. This is obviously a primary reason we go to these type of wars.

The billionairs get tax reductions/breaks. Our grandchildren will be burdened with this for a very long time.

We need a death tax of at least 90% for amounts beyond say 1 million $$ to each child. And no charity deductions over 1 million $$.
The goal should be to repay all of the national debt with death taxes.
Also another source of$$ would be to put in a income tax of at least 75% for amounts over ,say, $250thousand on those who have not served in the military or if their children are not serving in the military.

Another thing to tax much more is the profits military contractors make.

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on Feb 25, 2008 at 5:44 pm

Observer, you will love my idea of paying for highways - confiscate every 10th vehicle and sell it for the highway account.

Posted by GIVE IT BACK FEINSTEIN
a resident of Stanford
on Feb 26, 2008 at 7:04 am

Wholesale inflation rate soars:

Web Link

Thanks a bunch, Dianne.

Posted by pesrpective
on Feb 26, 2008 at 8:29 am

I have an idea...why don't we actually take the oil from Iraq ( the reason so many people think we are there) to pay ourselves back??

Oh yes..I forgot. We aren't actually taking anything from Iraq, only giving and helping.

Except, of course, for those many billionaires we went to war in order to enrich further.

Posted by Corruption Bad
a resident of Stanford
on Feb 26, 2008 at 2:02 pm

I remember the 1992 election line/lie "Year of the Woman"

Should have been "Hire a Whore make a Billion"

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on Feb 26, 2008 at 6:54 pm

There are still some fools who think war is profitable. Find a capitalist who makes more money in war than in peace.

Posted by No WarPigs
a resident of Menlo Park
on Feb 26, 2008 at 10:51 pm

I don't think that the Plum-Fineswine plan included War as a means to an end. However I do think they have taken full advantage of that situation for maximum financial gain.

What their real plan is to have an exclusive contractual relationship with taxpayer money coming directly to this parasitic cabal of ruthless greedy capitalist.

Show me where her actions differ away of this money, greed, and power concept.

Posted by perspective
on Feb 27, 2008 at 7:13 am

Uh..Pig...either you got frozen in time or you have just read Marx..either way, it is old stuff, already long proven to be a harmful ideology.

As for "took advantage of it financially"..and you believe most people don't take advantage financially of situations? And if you were offered a job that paid double what you make now, you would turn it down?

C'mon.

1 person likes this
Posted by ONE EURO = $1.50
a resident of Stanford
on Feb 27, 2008 at 8:14 am

"perspective",

When was the last time you disapproved of the actions of rabid Israel-Firsters like Feinstein, Lieberman, Harman, Lantos, Specter, Greenspan, Kissinger, Perle, Wolfowitz, Feith, Chertoff, Zelikow, Libby, Fleischer, Wurmser, Frum, Zakheim, Friedman, Novak, Kristol, Podhoretz, Pipes, Krauthammer, Goldberg, Sulzberger, Graham, Eisner, Redstone, Zuckerman, Summers, Kagan, Ledeen, Kravis, Abrams, Abraham, Spencer, Krongard, Bloomberg, Rubenstein, Silverman, Lauder, Bronfman, Foxman, Singer, Bork, Ornstein, Bork, Dershowitz ???

Seriously.

1 person likes this
Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on Feb 27, 2008 at 9:18 am

ONE EURO = $1.50, add Walter E. Wallis to that list. I have been opnly critical of Feinstein, Lieberman, Lantos, Specter, Greenspan, Kissinger, Pipes, Krauthammer, Goldberg, Graham, Eisner, Bork and Dershowitz. I favor civilized behavior. I favor a free Palestine, free on the lands taken from them by their Muslim "brothers".

Posted by No WarPigs
a resident of Menlo Park
on Feb 27, 2008 at 10:30 am

.. And if you were offered a job that paid double what you make now, you would turn it down?

YES! I WOULD! THERE IS NOT ENOUGH GOLD ON THIS PLANET TO MAKE ME HER.
HER GREED CAUSED THIS: Web Link

DON'T FOOL YOURSELF "Plum-Fineswine" ARE WAR PIGS

WHY DID YOU VOTE FOR HER?

Posted by r
a resident of Southgate
on Feb 28, 2008 at 9:51 pm

"And if you were offered a job that paid double what you make now, you would turn it down?"

The critical difference here is that Feinstein's getting rich off of taxpayer money.

Posted by r
a resident of Southgate
on Feb 28, 2008 at 9:51 pm

Posted by r
a resident of Terman Middle School
on Feb 28, 2008 at 9:51 pm

Posted by rw
a resident of Terman Middle School
on Feb 28, 2008 at 9:51 pm

Posted by perspective
on Feb 29, 2008 at 9:37 am

I didn't vote for her. I despise her and all she stands for. She is a HUGE hypocrite, and works against almost everything I believe in. She is more than ethically challenged, she is ethically disabled and needs to be forcibly retired. I despise elected people who don't get out of conflict of interest situations, even if it is just at the local school board level and a vote on an issue which will make a spouse look good in his job.

My comment was related to the sentiment that somehow greed and capitalism are wrong. Human nature is greedy, and within ethical confines that is a GREAT thing, because if everyone watches out for their own self interest, the whole society improves. Hence my question about "if you were offered a job that paid double".

I completely agree that unethical gain is not worth it. I chose to work in less paying situations because the ethics of the environment suited my ethics better. Though I could have worked in places that did LEGAL, but to my mind horribly unethical, practices, and made about 20% more than I did. But, if I could have made double in an ethical way, I would have jumped ship!!!

Posted by litebug
on Mar 3, 2008 at 1:43 am

I was once a fan of Feinstein's, a long long time ago, but I can't stand her any more. I am so sick of her Blue Dog-ness, her unethical behavior, and her unrepresentative votes. Thanks to her we now have Mukasey added to the list of Bush Administration officials who have thumbed their noses at the Constitution and Congressional oversight. She has become a disgrace to the party and the state. She should run off with Liebermann...they are cut from the same cloth. I thought I heard that she will not be running again. I hope this is true. This would save me the trouble of voting against her. I'd like to put both DiFi and Pelosi out to pasture for the same reasons. They have been self-serving wimps and have been more interested in kissing up to Bush than in doing what they were elected to do. I've seen pictures of each of these women looking up at Bush all moony-eyed...it was totally disgusting and sickening. Both are rich and vote accordingly. They are not friends of the common people nor of the Constitution, judging by their records.