Palo Alto officers receive minor injuries in crash

Original post made on Nov 9, 2007

A Palo Alto police officer and a lieutenant were shaken up when their patrol car was broad-sided by another car while they were driving to assist other officers Friday afternoon. Photo by Hardy Wilson/Palo Alto Online.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, November 12, 2007, 4:18 PM

Posted by just thinkin
on Nov 9, 2007 at 3:52 pm

Check the uniform - that's a CHP officer, until PAPD wears kakhi on casual Fridays.

Posted by Kerry
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Nov 9, 2007 at 4:17 pm

I just happened to be there shortly after the accident, and before ambulance and fire showed up. The only police officer I saw was in civilian clothes, but with a vest that said "police". He eventually began to direct traffic. I have no idea what happened, except that at least two vhicles, possibly more, were involved. The police car had it lights on, so maybe it was going against a red light, and someone didn't get the picture.

Posted by Tyler Hanley
digital editor of Palo Alto Online
on Nov 9, 2007 at 5:33 pm

Tyler Hanley is a registered user.

Thank you for pointing out the error. It was indeed a CHP officer. We've made the change online.

Posted by DUIUIUIUIUIUI
a resident of Greater Miranda
on Nov 10, 2007 at 6:38 am

DUI ??

Who checks?

Posted by Crashee
a resident of Downtown North
on Nov 10, 2007 at 9:34 pm

Count on one thing -- if it was the cop's fault, somehow it will get written up so that it's someone else's fault. I am STILL paying physically for something stupid that a PA police officer did 4 years ago. I had a green light and was proceeding legally through an intersection when the cop made an illegal move and crashed into me. Even with a dozen witnesses who reported what the cop did, the officer (from Menlo Park) who wrote up the accident managed to make it my fault. I was stunned.

In the last 4 years, I've had two surgeries and countless hours of physical therapy, cortisone injections, and all kinds of fun stuff because a cop couldn't be bothered to pay attention to what was going on around him when he pulled out of a parking space.

There is a 6-month limitation on a civilian's ability to file suit against a government agency who is at fault in an accident. And guess what? They delay the reports until it's too late to file a suit. It's a cute racket.

Unfortunately, I have been paying, with physical pain, for years for someone else's error. I'm very unhappy about this. Thousands of dollars out of my pocket, plus lost work time, all because of a cop who couldn't be bothered to look out the window when he pulled out of a parking space. Lucky me.

It could have been you.

Posted by maybe
a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Nov 11, 2007 at 1:05 am

maybe it was cause you messed up not the police officer? ecver think of that?

Posted by jake
a resident of Meadow Park
on Nov 11, 2007 at 7:29 am

Crashee, I think you need a good lawyer. Lots work on contingency.

Posted by witness
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Nov 11, 2007 at 6:02 pm

It was not the police officers fault, i saw the whole thing. I along with about 15 other witnesses provided a statement..does anyone know how the police officers are? Both of them were taken away by amulance?

Posted by Crashee
a resident of Downtown North
on Nov 12, 2007 at 9:49 am

Just wanted to clarify -- I was not involved in the San Antonio/Charleston accident.

And to "maybe" ... there is no way that the accident I was in was my fault, even though the police officer who wrote it up managed to construct a way to blame it on me. My insurance company went after the city to get reimbursed after two independent accident investigators came back with an entirely different report that said it was the cop's fault.

Jake, there is a 6 month time limit on suing a government agency for mistakes made by their personnel. I have a very good lawyer who said he wouldn't take this case because of the cop aspect.

I'm glad I have good medical insurance but I lost a lot of work and can never make that up.

I hope everyone involved in the Charleston incident will be OK.

Posted by Gardner
on Nov 12, 2007 at 6:30 pm

That poor tree has been hit some many times. Check out the scars on it next time you are shopping at West Marine.

Posted by Fireman
on Nov 13, 2007 at 7:19 am

Crashee;

Funny how CPA has a way of not being accountable. Remember your are fighting the CPA and they will stop at nothing to cover anything up.
Someone like Maybe makes comments without even knowing or hearing the facts.
It is time to get all the people who have fallen victum to this City to file a case with the ACLU.

Time to take a count. How many cases. How many lies. How much money spent. How many people hurt.
Then maybe people can see.
Two firefighters Driving the Ambulance get in an accident. Cops say Firefighters fault. Firefighters say no way. The Cops do the simple thing. Cops and Firefighters are like cats and dogs. Says your fault. This way the Chief gets something in the Firefighters file on them. Fire Chief has no time for this,out trying to get a job for the state.
Firefighter to very good employees,people and firefighter/paramedics. Will not rollover. Say now way .. Then the truth comes out..
Not there fault, not even close.. The City or the Cops did not find the truth. The 2 firefighter/paramedics had to show it too them?

Fix this place...Make them Accountable.... ACLU... Case Action.

Crashee...Do you think these people need to be stopped?

Posted by Tim
on Nov 13, 2007 at 8:18 am

No cover up or lies! The police were doing what they get pay to do- chase bad guys. Keep it up- I want to live in a safe city. Also, thank you for catching the rapist.