A Minority-Race Governor of Louisiana

Original post made by How far we have come, baby on Oct 21, 2007

I have to bring to the attention of all of us who still believe that Louisiana is a hot-bed of racists the fact that out of a field of 12 candidates for Govenorship of Louisiana, Mr. Jindal, son of immigrants from India, won with 52% of the vote.

Web Link

I don't know the "race" of all of the other candidates, but the next 3 pictured who got some votes were "white".

Ok, I have to tell y'all. When I moved to a high school there 35 years ago, whites and blacks weren't even allowed, culturally, to talk to each other. I asked someone ( black, and I am white) directions to a classroom on my first day, and it turned into a race fight, picks and brass knuckles included. Turns out I had started it by breaking the "rules". It was absolutely impossible to be friends with anyone of a different race, at least publicly.

I got out of there at the earliest possible time, but fast forward 15 years when I went back for a visit, and lo and behold, I saw black/white couples pushing baby carriages in the street and nobody was beating them up! Fast forward another 20 years and I see a non-white Governor elected in Louisiana.

Truly we have come a long way, baby! Of course, there will always be a few fools, but if LOUISIANA can have such a cool majority, then this a day for celebration indeed!

Posted by ten18, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Oct 21, 2007 at 9:44 pm

Whatever. Why can't people just achieve based on their qualifications and merits, without having attention constantly called to their race or ethnic background? First black this, first Indo-American that, first Latino the other thing. This country has bent over backward for minorities - isn't it time we take the training wheels off? I find that minority policitians (who are generally Democrats) tend to advocate for their own ethnic group, sometimes to the exclusion of their other constituents. Hopefully Mr. Jindal intends to represent all of his constituents. He is a conservative, so there's an excellent chance he will. He would have gotten my vote, if I lived in Louisiana.

Posted by Thanks for reading it., a resident of Midtown
on Oct 22, 2007 at 6:33 am

I completely agree. I would love to move past the whole "color" thing and get into merit/achievement based assessments only. But, unfortunately, there are still a lot of people who think that color really matters in pretty much everything, and that we are still dominated by racism in this country. (NOT).

So, I was just posting the news because I am sure it won't make it into any of our local papers. My goal is to try to counteract some of the false assumptions people make about the South based on constant media distortion and hype ( Jenna comes to mind as one of the most recent and most absurdly and wrongly reported stories of the last year.)

That was my point in posting it. Thanks!

Posted by News, after all, a resident of Palo Alto Hills
on Oct 22, 2007 at 6:46 am

Ok, you got me curious, so I looked up at the National Governor's Assoc web site (nga.com or org) and was surprised to find that this actually IS news!. All but one other Governor of the 50 states is white.

So, this is big news, indeed. Thanks for the post.

Posted by Marvin, a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Oct 22, 2007 at 7:15 am

While it is great that Louisiana elected a non-white governor, one should look at what Mr Jindal stands for.
During his campaign he advocated banning abortion in all cases without exception, the teaching of intelligent design instead of evolution and the repeal of all hate crime laws.

Web Link

I think we need to get past a candidates race/gender and look at what they stand for.
Would we want someone like him holding office here?

Posted by sarlat, a resident of Crescent Park
on Oct 22, 2007 at 8:13 am

Mr. Jindal may be a person of color, but he's also a Right Wing radical and the last 7 years have given us a clear indication what they are capable of. If his philosophy is implemented, his state would regress rapidly toward the dark ages, and Louisiana public schools, already the worst in the nation, will "teach" their students that the Universe is 6000 years old. Louisiana, as always, made the wrong decision.

Posted by ten18, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Oct 22, 2007 at 8:15 am

No, we'd probably want a guilty white liberal . . . :)

Posted by ten18, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Oct 22, 2007 at 8:19 am

It's frightening to think that not everyone in this country thinks like the average left-wing California resident!!! Yikes!!!

And I didn't know that he was for the repeal of hate-crime laws, which are another construct of the liberal establishment. That's a good thing. A crime is a crime. If you're guilty you should pay. We don't need thought police in this country!

Posted by Gilebrt, a resident of Downtown North
on Oct 22, 2007 at 12:35 pm

The experience of the last seven years should have indicated to any person with a double digit I.Q that conservatives shouldn't be trusted with governing anything, on any level. A right wing administration has turned us into a violent fascist empire, violating international laws and human rights on an industrial scale, despised around the world and borrowing a trillion dollars from China, Japan and India to financed those crimes. It's the party of the new governor who allowed New Orleans to drown while the "president" was golfing. The new governor, regardless of his skin color is of the same ideology, which means that his state is doomed.

Posted by funny!, a resident of Midtown
on Oct 22, 2007 at 12:36 pm

ten18, you were hilarious!

As for the SFGate article...who can trust the same media that thinks that Rush Limbaugh called soldiers who disagree with Iraq "phony", Bush vetoed health care for poor kids, Rush smeared a 12 year old child, and ignores Clinton's campaign scandals, just to mention news stories of the last couple weeks...

Posted by SF Comical wrong as usual, a resident of Midtown
on Oct 22, 2007 at 12:55 pm

Went through everything written by Jindal and his whole voting record..odd, didn't find anything about "intelligent design" or "eliminating all abortion"..

Gosh, do you think the SF Chronicle got it wrong?

Posted by Marvin, a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Oct 22, 2007 at 1:08 pm

I believe the writer of the Sf Chronicle article is with the Associated Press and not the Chronicle staff
If you look online you can find evidence of Jindal's very conservative stance on issues of evolution, abortion etc.
Clearly that was what got him elected in the very conservative state of Louisiana

Posted by Claire, a resident of College Terrace
on Oct 22, 2007 at 1:14 pm

Let me simplify this discussion:those who think that a Right wing politician deserves to be elected to anything, even dog catcher, based on the unprecedented disaster the Right wing has inflicted on our nation, deserve to live in Louisiana governed by the gentleman who was just elected governor.

Posted by yank, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Oct 22, 2007 at 1:41 pm

I do not care what race he is, it is his competence that matters.
Bye the way what race is Obama white mother black father, what race is Tiger Woods?

The issue for Louisiana is to fight corruption.

Louisiana is historically underwater or under indictment or both.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.