Patriots of America

Original post made by Citizen, Old Palo Alto, on Aug 29, 2007

Patriots Of America

This story contains 397 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

Posted by Grumpy
a resident of South of Midtown
on Aug 29, 2007 at 11:15 pm

Just a couple of comments:

What is a counry?

I have no objection to saying the pledge of allegiance to the flag daily. I do object to the "under God" part, which was added to the pledge when I was 15 to appease the McCarthyites. Please explain to me whose God. A Methodist God? A Presbyterian God? An Islamic God? A Judaic G_d? You get my drift....or should.

By the way, I'm a veteran. U. S. Army. Are you?

If you haven't served the country, please keep your opinions to yourself.

Posted by Grumpy
a resident of South of Midtown
on Aug 29, 2007 at 11:16 pm

Just a couple of comments:

What is a counry?

By the way, I'm a veteran. U. S. Army. Are you? If you haven't served the country, please keep your opinions to yourself.

Posted by Anna
a resident of Southgate
on Aug 29, 2007 at 11:29 pm

I don't know which army Grumpy served in, but to suggest that only people who have armed forces experience be permitted to experess public opinions is.....no other word for it..... "unAmerican".

Maybe in the few military dictatorships still left in the world, do Grumpy's attitudes hold sway, but not here.

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on Aug 30, 2007 at 6:57 am

Since we know the students are inculated with what the country owes them, a bit of reciprocity would be nice.

Posted by Nathan
a resident of Southgate
on Aug 30, 2007 at 8:04 am

Let's look at the pledge:

"I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

It's a nice little homily as pledges go, but why do we even bother? Other countries don't require this nonsense from school age children. It reminds me of the motivational pledges that they shout in the Japanese auo factories every morning.

Here's a quote from a website (URL follows):
"I Pledge allegiance to whomever might be President of the United States at this time, and to the Republic (i.e., the United States) for which he or she was elected by what may or may not have been a majority to be in charge of, one nation under Canada, extremely divisible, with liberty within the bounds of legally acceptable behavior and justice for some."

Here's the website Web Link

- it's iconoclastic, and a relief from those who think that reciting some pointless words make good citizens.

Posted by GMC
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Aug 30, 2007 at 9:50 am

Grumpy, thank you for your service to our country. You earned our respect by serving, but not the exclusive right to freely express yourself.

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on Aug 30, 2007 at 10:31 am

Nathan, do you ever tell your wife you love her? Or do you enumerate the limitations placed on that love. Citizenship is a mutual obligation that must be learned, else some folk like the Walkers and Amses see nothing wrong with aligning with nations and idiologies that wish us harm. In cowboy movies we often were told "You can't take the law into your own hands." In reality, we can't allow the law out of our hands, and that requires an understanding that it is our law.

Death by Diet

I am Voting Yes on Measure B the Sales Tax for Transportation
By Steve Levy | 30 comments | 2,351 views

Mountain View Oktoberfest returns this weekend

The timing is wrong
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 486 views

Preparing for college interviews
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 0 comments | 419 views

The 2016-17 Info Guide is here!

Info Palo Alto, a resource guide for the Midpeninsula, features local information on schools, outdoors and recreation, government and arts & entertainment

View