Anna Luskin's 'legacy' vision of her life

Original post made on Jun 28, 2007

When the parents of Anna Luskin visited her apartment in San Luis Obispo -- where she just completed her second year studying journalism at Cal Poly -- they found a short class assignment that gave an eerie but joyful glimpse into the life Anna envisioned for herself.

Read the full story here Web Link

Posted by Kathy Durham, a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Jun 28, 2007 at 11:34 pm

To Jay, Fred and Jan --
Thank you for sharing this piece in which Anna shares her dreams. I remember how her columns in the Weekly conveyed a genuine warmth and depth -- she came across as a "centered" person, who didn't let the unimportant stuff distract her and had figured out at such a young age what really matters in life. And in "My Legacy" the same qualities come through loud and clear.

As we all struggle to come to terms with this tragedy, I hope that Fred and Jan can take some comfort in Anna's words, especially her last sentence, "Basically, I want people to know that I was happy and I lived a very fulfilling life, filled with lots of love." It is so hard to raise a child in the world we live in, but you really gave her a grounded upbringing in a nurturing home, and the love shines through clearly.

May a small fraction of the love and insights and ability to find ways to heal in impossible situations that you have shared with so many, come back to give you strength now.

Posted by Johan R, a resident of Barron Park
on Jun 29, 2007 at 12:15 am

Our loving thoughts go out to the Luskin family. Life is too short... We believe and hope that Anna lived hers to the fullest, and we know that her very being touched the hearts of so many others, like ripples on water.
We send wishes for love and healing to Anna and her family + friends.
Blessed be.

Posted by Tari Vickery, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 29, 2007 at 6:07 pm

We just heard the news late last night, and I have felt overcome with grief from the minute I awoke this morning. I well remember Anna Rose from kindergarten at Escondido. Then, after you came back to Stanford, Fred and I hiked Angel Island together as parent chaperones during the 4th grade field trip. So many wonderful memories of times shared, but all too brief.

Anna had such a beautiful smile...her eyes were always bright with wonder. I'm sure I speak for all the parents of the Class of 2005 when I say how deeply, deeply we share your pain and loss.

Thank you for sharing her legacy. Our thoughts are with you.

The Vickery's (Kent, Tari, Heather, & Charles)

Posted by Natalie Plotnikoff, a resident of another community
on Jun 29, 2007 at 11:33 pm

I knew Anna while working at Old Navy. She was an amazing person, so sweet and caring, always willing to help others. My thoughts go out to her family and friends. She will be missed.

Posted by camarin, a resident of another community
on Jul 2, 2007 at 12:43 am

Dr. Luskin, I am sorry to hear about your daughter. My prayers are with you and your family.

Posted by Neil Gomes, a resident of another community
on Jul 2, 2007 at 10:25 am

To the family and friends of Anna,

I read this wonderfully tragic story forwarded to by a dear friend who is connected to them through a community center where she works.

Take great joy in the knowledge that you were and will always be a part of the loving caring person who "made sure no that one in her life felt neglected".

She has people who do remember her by her relationships with those that she loved. How wonderful it would be if her legacy would not only be a blessing to those of you who knew and loved her so well, but also to others who read and hear of her love of others and of life.
That we might benefit and absorb this beautiful young woman's life philosophy, and apply even a portion of it to our own lives. How much better would this world be...I wonder. I know she has impacted mine with a conviction that will continue to live on.
Thank you Anna!

Posted by Stacey Kirk, a resident of another community
on Jul 2, 2007 at 11:11 am

My wishes and thoughts are with the family, your daughters words and yours as well in the article leave much for everyone to think about and consider as we live each day! May God be with you all!

Blessed Be!

Posted by Kim Hunter, a resident of Los Altos
on Jul 5, 2007 at 9:44 am

Anna's "legacy" story is a testament to the loving family she grew up in. I hear more stories about how people want to grow up to be different from what they were exposed to, in order not to repeat those mistakes. Anna's story is a heartening reminder that there are loving, caring, wise and nurturing families, and Anna simply reflected that.

Our prayers are with you, Fred, Jan and Danny.

Much love,
Kim, Larry & Jordan

Posted by Wendy Lewis-Rakova, a resident of Menlo Park
on Jul 10, 2007 at 10:40 am

To the Family-- There really are no words to encompass the loss of a child. It is the hardest grief. But Anna died fulfilled, at peace with her life and family. She had the 'good death' we all hope for. It's as if she came in to do this special teaching. I have been tremendously moved by this story and it's sensitive reporting. Thank you for sharing.

Posted by Shannon Samuels, a resident of Los Altos
on Jul 10, 2007 at 1:06 pm

Dr. Luskin, I want to thank you for your bravery through this painful time in your life. I met you at the KARA Grief Seminar this May, and at this time am enrolled in your forgiveness class at Stanford, as I am struggling alongside my brother in the loss of his only child, 18-year-old Natalie, in an accident in NYC last August. I did not learn until this morning of the loss of your beloved daughter just a few short weeks ago. That you chose, and were able, to proceed with us in the class is a testament to your courage.

Bless you in the good work that you do, and know there are many who pray for you and hold you, your wife, your son, and your daughter in their hearts.

Posted by Emma, a resident of another community
on Aug 7, 2007 at 10:05 am

I am anna's cousin, and i just wanted to thank everyone who sends their well wishes. I have to say that anna's legacy does no justice to the beautiful person she was. Jan fred and danny are simply amazing, and should be taken as role models for everyone out there who is coping with death. Anna was my own personal role model throughout my life. She is seven years older than me, and was just like my big sister. We were really more like friends than cousins. She is with my still in mind, body, and spirit. I love you anna rose.

Posted by Emma, a resident of another community
on Nov 9, 2007 at 6:40 pm

I miss you so much Anna Rose... words just don't describe how much I miss you... I find myself not knowing who to turn to. No one is you. No one even comes close. No one can fill the hole you left in my heart Anna. I miss you... so, so, so much.

To anyone who visits this site still... you guys must be the important people in her life. So thanks for your love and support. I love all of you so much, and I hope everyone is doing "okay". As okay as you could be anyway..
love to you all..
xox
emma

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.