Street Light Antennas?

Original post made by Richard, College Terrace, on Sep 22, 2006

I've notice what look like big WiFi antennas hanging from the street lights on the College Terrace. Does anyone know what there for or who put them up?
Richard

Posted by Neil
a resident of College Terrace
on Sep 22, 2006 at 4:35 pm

I think they're part of either a partial wireless (WiFi) install, or technical test, for "first responder" (police, fire, etc.). A friend of mine has noticed that "police" and fire" access points show up on his computer as access points. He can't use them, because they're password protected.

I've heard that they *may* also eventually be used for comunity wireless access, but I have no confirmation on that.

In any case, they're WiFi antennae.

Posted by Tim
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Sep 22, 2006 at 9:27 pm

They are detectors put in place by Palo Alto's elite in order to monitor residential activities. These detectors will alow the upper division to see if you doing non conforming activities such as drinking budweiser, watching NASCAR, acting all 'Sacto' with a tank top on and gelled hair, etc.

Posted by RS
on Sep 22, 2006 at 10:00 pm

"to see if you doing non conforming activities such as ..."

Its about time.
My neighbor has been watching Wrestlemania with his curtains open.
Talk about social decay, I need some of those detectors over here.

Posted by Hulkamania
on Sep 23, 2006 at 9:38 am

You pencil necks better quit looking in my window while I watch wrastlin' or I'll put the smackdown on ya.

P.S. All the moon walks were filmed at a studio in Burbank.

Posted by Richard
a resident of College Terrace
on Sep 23, 2006 at 7:54 pm

And I didn't think people in Palo Alto had a sense of humor.

Posted by Neil
a resident of College Terrace
on Sep 23, 2006 at 10:19 pm

in fact, I heard that these WiFi antennas emit radiation that interferes with the "complaining" neurons in the brain. Have you noticed how things have been real quiet in CT lately, except for a few bozos down the street watching wrestlemania in nightgowns.

alo, notice that no one is complaining about the antennas - you heard it here, first

Posted by Mr. X
a resident of College Terrace
on Sep 24, 2006 at 2:23 am

Yes, probably part of a WiFi network being tested by the city for emergency services. San Mateo has (or had) a network like this for municipal use. Possibly commercially-made mesh networking equipment like that made by Tropos:
Web Link

Light poles are an ideal place to put these radio boxes, and the city just happens to own them, unlike in PG&E territory.

I sure wish the city was planning to use this network to provide WiFi internet access for the residents. But for now it appears that the city-owned WiFi network will remain inaccessible to the poor downtrodden slum-dwelling bottom-feeding filth of College Terrace, just like the city-owned fiber ring (which also runs through College Terrace). Let them eat dial-up.

Either that, or the city is planning to turn it into an open network later, but if so it hasn't been saying much about it. At city hall they are still stuck on fiber to the home.

Oh, and by the way, maybe it's not so password protected after all. :)
Web Link

Posted by Karey
a resident of Evergreen Park
on Sep 25, 2006 at 12:50 pm

We asked a friend who works at the city - he said they were for wireless meter reading (of your electrical meter).

Posted by John
a resident of College Terrace
on Sep 25, 2006 at 1:19 pm

Karey,

That makes sense. The City put in a new gas meter at my house last week. Just connecting the dots....

Posted by Brian
a resident of Professorville
on Sep 25, 2006 at 2:06 pm

I think most of the wireless antennas you see hanging from the street lights are from the old Ricochet wireless service that went bankrupt in 2001.

Web Link

Posted by Hulkamania
on Sep 25, 2006 at 4:24 pm

"However, I hope there is dual use technology at play. I want the authorities to know which teenagers are listening to hip hop music. If they arrest them, and send them to rehab, it might decrease the crime rate around here! Well, maybe not, but one week of listening to Kate Smith and Frank Sinatra and a little sleep deprivation (as those kids do to me), would be poetic justice. Save the waterboarding for the recalcitrants."

John,

You need to move to our neighborhood where all the kids watch wrastlin' and are A students. We've installed equipment that scans all audio devices, including iPods, for hip hop and rap music. If any offending music is detected a Class IV laser will automatically fuse the audio device into a pile of slag.

Vince McMann for president!!

Posted by Tyler
on Oct 24, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Those white boxes with the upside down antenna are for the "Richochet" wifi which is now defunct. Remote Electrical meters "digital" are not part of them.

Posted by T
a resident of Southgate
on Nov 27, 2009 at 11:40 am

They are found All over the city of Los angeles usually located next to cameras.

Posted by Tim M
a resident of Palo Verde
on Dec 5, 2013 at 5:14 pm

I've noticed these too and have read all the comments & ideas but none of them really make sense. I've seen them along major highways so its not for reading meters! They are not wifi hot spots. I have an idea, I am a defense contractor and heard that the government has a system for tracking nuclear emitting objects along highways and this really does make sense to me more than any of the other ideas I've read.