Civic groups will be hosting a variety of voter-education forums in the coming weeks, providing the electorate with opportunities to learn more about the people and issues they will be voting on Nov. 6. Here are some other upcoming events:
Palo Alto Unified School District Board of Education
* Monday, Oct. 8, 7 p.m., at 25 Churchill Ave., Palo Alto. The forum will focus on special education. Sponsored by the Community Advisory Committee for Special Education.
* Wednesday, Oct. 10, 7 p.m., at the English Resource Center (ERC) adjacent to the Palo Alto High School Library. Cosponsored by Paly's Student Equity Action Network, Parents Advocating Student Success and Paly alumni.
* Monday, Oct. 15, at 7 p.m., in the boardroom of school district headquarters, 25 Churchill, sponsored by the Palo Alto Weekly and moderated by California Sen. Joe Simitian, a former Palo Alto school board member.
* Sunday, Oct. 21, at 3 p.m., at Congregation Etz Chayim, 4161 Alma St.
* Wednesday, Oct. 24, at 7 p.m., at Nixon Elementary School, 1711 Stanford Ave., sponsored by the PTAs of Nixon and Escondido elementary schools.
Pros and Cons forum covering all state propositions
* Tuesday, Oct. 9, 7-8:30 p.m., at 1305 Middlefield Road, Palo Alto. Sponsored by the Junior League of Palo Alto-Mid-peninsula.
* Wednesday, Oct. 10, 7 p.m., at 850 Webster St., Palo Alto.
Santa Clara County Board of Education: Trustee Area No. 1
* Wednesday, Oct. 10, 7:45-9 p.m., at 1701 Rock Ave., Mountain View. Trustee Area No. 1 encompasses Palo Alto, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Mountain View and Sunnyvale per the new boundaries created by the 2010 census. Sponsored by League of Women Voters Los Altos/Mountain View and Crittenden Middle School PTA. Co-sponsored by League of Women Voters Palo Alto and League of Women Voters Cupertino-Sunnyvale.
Palo Alto City Council
* Thursday, Oct. 11, 8-9:30 p.m., at 250 Hamilton Ave., Palo Alto. Sponsored by the League of Women Voters Palo Alto.
State Assembly and State Senate
Wednesday, Oct. 17, 7-9 p.m., at 701 Laurel St., Menlo Park. Co-sponsored with League of Women Voters South San Mateo County.
Election Day: presidential, state legislature and county final elections
* Tuesday, Nov. 6, 7 a.m.-8 p.m. More information is available at www.smartvoter.org.
— Palo Alto Online staff