Man causes minor injuries to four police in scuffle

A man got into a scuffle with police at Palo Alto's Opportunity Center and caused minor injuries to four police officers before he was arrested, according to Palo Alto police.

This story contains 376 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

Comments

Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Nov 19, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I'd be this is one reason that police resort to the use of firearms and deadly force.
Not always but sometimes. If my job demanded that I peacefully confront and
deal with violent people, even on the days that I might not feel so good, or want
to hassle with dirtbags ... I think I'd resort of the Taser or the nightstick or the gun
too.

I've always thought it was unreasonable to expect police to have to deal with
criminals or out of control people in some kind of fair right ... the criminals have
stepped over the line and the law has a right to respond reasonably, which I do
not think should mean having to risk life and limb unnecessarily on behalf of
people who do not even care about their own lives or limbs.

I am not talking about officers being able to be out of control, so do not mistake
that.

I hope all the officers are OK and I hope the city rethinks its Taser policy, which I
believe is no Tasers? Is that right?

Posted by Paul
on Nov 19, 2013 at 3:54 pm

This so-called opportunity center is just an excuse to cause Palo Alto a ton of problems. Time to shut it down.

Posted by tivity
a resident of Southgate
on Nov 19, 2013 at 3:54 pm

[Post removed.]

Posted by BarronParker
on Nov 20, 2013 at 1:14 pm

BarronParker is a registered user.

With a record like this, I would nominate Mr. Lay as one of the 20 most special people to share in our recently announced $250,000 grant for the most seriously "at risk" homeless people in Palo Alto.

The guilt-ridden Palo Alto City Council has determined that we identify the most dangerous and criminal homeless people and spend $12,500 on each to change their lives for the better.

By his actions, Mr Lay appears to have a high risk of recidivism into felony assault. Surely this is someone we should be encouraging to live in our fair city! Just a short walk from Palo Alto High.

Posted by iSez
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Nov 20, 2013 at 6:43 pm

iSez is a registered user.

Agree with all of you, especially "CrescentParkAnon". Criminals seem to have more rights than law enforcement. Police officers have to put up with so much crap. I had no idea tasers were illegal here - time to bring them back.

Wonder what kind of punishment Lay will get. Probably less than what those officers endured.

Posted by bobgnote
a resident of Mountain View
on Nov 21, 2013 at 11:09 am

bobgnote is a registered user.

[Post removed.]

To post your comment, please login or register at the top of the page. This topic is only for those who have signed up to participate by providing their email address and establishing a screen name.

Death by Diet

I am Voting Yes on Measure B the Sales Tax for Transportation
By Steve Levy | 30 comments | 3,032 views

Mountain View Oktoberfest returns this weekend

The timing is wrong
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 504 views

My Daughter Died 18 Years Ago
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 467 views

The 2016-17 Info Guide is here!

Info Palo Alto, a resource guide for the Midpeninsula, features local information on schools, outdoors and recreation, government and arts & entertainment

View