One person suffered minor injuries in a two-alarm fire in northeastern Mountain View Monday morning, Jan. 28, fire officials said. Mountain View and Palo Alto firefighters were busy removing smoldering debris from the home at around 11 a.m.
Fire department spokesperson Jaime Garrett said the injured woman who lived in the house was treated on the scene. The entirety of the home in the 1600 block of Spring Street had burned and flames even damaged power lines behind the house, Garrett said.
"This is why we encourage people to go through spring cleaning a few times a year," Garrett said, as firefighters removed smoldering piles of clothing and fabric from the garage. "There is a high fuel load in this house. Once stuff like that starts burning, it just smolders. It got up in the attic and throughout the home."
Garrett also noted the bars on the windows could have prevented someone from escaping from the fire.
"If people put bars on their windows to make sure they can be opened from the inside so they can be used as an emergency exit," Garrett said.